Safeguarding at St. Martin's
We want St. Martin's to be a welcoming and safe place for everyone. In particular we put an incredibly high value on the safety of our children and young people. As such all our volunteers are interviewed and DBS checked before being appointed.
Any ministry among young people is working towards keeping children and young people safe and sound. With this in mind we have appointed Jacqui Allan as our Parish Safeguarding Coordinator and Disclosure Officer. Her role includes looking out for those at St. Martin's who may need support. She is also available to speak to about any issues or concerns you may have.
Parish Safeguarding Policy Statement
The Parochial Church Council of the Parish of St. Martin's has adopted the safeguarding policies and procedures of the Church of England. In particular we are committed to:
- the safeguarding of all children, young people and vulnerable adults
- carefully selecting and training paid and voluntary staff who might come into contact with children or vulnerable adults, using the Disclosure and Barring Service amongst other tools, to check their suitability
- responding without delay to every complaint made which suggests that an adult, child or young person may have been harmed
- co-operating fully with the police, local authority and any other appropriate statutory body in any investigation
- ministering appropriately to anyone, child or adult, who has experienced abuse
- extending pastoral care to those known to have offended against children or vulnerable adults whilst ensuring that children and vulnerable adults are protected from them
The following people have been appointed to support and promote our safeguarding practices and policies:
Parish Safeguarding Coordinator Ben Harding contact on 07443 647969
Deputy Parish Safeguarding Coordinator Jacqui Allan contact on 07918 128619
Parish Disclosures Officer Mandy Insole contact on 01304 206015
Approved by the Parochial Church Council in June 2019.
A PDF copy of the signed Parish Safeguarding Policy Statement can be found here.
Our Parish Safeguarding Coordinator is available to speak with adults or children.
Canterbury Diocese Safeguarding Information is online, and available here.
Any child wishing to talk about a problem can contact Childline on 0800 1111 or online at www.childline.org.uk
Any parent or carer wishing to talk about parenting problems can contact Family Lives on 0808 800 2222 or online at www.familylives.org.uk
Let’s talk PANTS !
NSPCC’s “Talk PANTS” video teaches children important messages, like their body belongs to them and they should tell an adult if they’re upset or worried.